Jun 20, 2013

Art Deco-ly Chanel?


I know this was like so "2000 & late", but, I told myself I need to write about this. I'm sure you guys watched Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky directed by Jan Kounen, a Frech film back in 2009. I loved it so much as it's a well-acted and a beautiful filmed. And yes, the passion and the brief love affair is dramatically directed in this period drama film.

Anyways, I'm not here to talk about the film nor about the affair, but I feel in love with their used for Interior and Architecture. In particular, it has to be the scenes shot in The Villa "Bel Respiro" in Garches. I am not sure if the interior was designed in the original state, but I think they might tweak it a bit from the 2002 novel written by Chris Greenhalgh. But they sure used the famous black & white theme. 

Igor Stravinsky: A Creative Spring : Russia and France 1882-1934, By Stephen Walsh (Page, 318)

I mean, Coco Chanel herself invented a fashion vocabulary :- white camellias, the little black dress (LBD), the double-C logo, the elongated octagon shape of the Chanel No. 5 perfume, checkered, simple lines, etc. Her designs are minimalist, elegant and forever green. So I assume, the interior designed in the film was somehow related to her fashion. Interior-ly fashionable, I shall say. :)

Gabrielle "Coco" Bonheur Chanel herself, looking elegant, stylish and grace. Form Follows Function.
So much elegance and class. The little black dress, the tweed suit, the quilted leather handbag, and the first-ever designer perfume, Chanel No.5.

It was in the year 1920's, French revolution time, the time where Art Deco was introduced to the ID & Architectural world, expressionism and surrealism in paintings, sculptures, coloured films, dance and of course fashion. Thanks to you, Coco Chanel. 

"...French speakers called it the "annĂ©es folles" ("Crazy Years"), emphasizing the era's social, artistic, and cultural dynamism..." 
 Roaring Twenties, Wikipedia 

Art Deco is one of my favourite era for designed. Back in Uni, this was the best subject I ever was introduced. Hehehehe! Oh, uni days. All young, crazy and motto was "C'est la vie". Nothing to worry but assignments and getting them pocket money to party! Ooook, back to reality! (Sorry for the 'Out-of-Topic' moment.)

Art Deco is an eclectic style that combines traditional craft motifs with Machine Age imagery and materials. The style is often characterized & described by such rich colors, bold and bold geometric shapes, and lavish ornamentation. Loads of octagon, streamlines, squares, forms, zig zags and many more. I mean, if you were to look at it in depth, there are few categories involved. You can get those really crazy BOLD and screams  of  LOUD style, or, you can get the clean modern streamline, simple with a class, in which my opinion, is what Chanel brings the best of fashion.


























Inspired much? Well, I sure do. After watching the film and falling for the interior, I couldn't help but to do my research and get my hands on all them B&W's. But not just a simple B&W space, I was looking for the style and theme from the year where Chanel started her career, hence the Art Deco era. In the film, the set designed was fantastically monochromatic and yes, black & white it was. Just look at the photos them below. :D

Taken from Coco Chanel & Igor film scene. Lines, lines and lines. Loving them black pipping borders. Concept of modern twist of Art Deco.






















Here's what I got from the film. Besides strips of black lines, there were some ornamental shapes used. It's like the set was an art of Chanel. Her taste and style. There was a scene where Igor's wife Katarina Stravinskaya asked, "Don't you like color?", and Coco replied, "As long as it's black." Everything in Chanel's world is black and white. That should be a warning., If the walls could speak, it will says, "I am Chanel!" LOL!

Bring those Art Deco into your home. I hope the images I posted help you guys get inspired. Get creative, but remember, BLACK & WHITE as main! It's Chanel! hehehehehehe!

A modern Art Deco style. Mostly geometric shapes used. Such contrast against the white.

Some of the interior images found online (thank you to those who posted them)





“..Women think of all colors except the absence of color. I have said that black has it all. White too. Their beauty is absolute. It is the perfect harmony...”
- Coco Chanel 

No comments:

Post a Comment